Friday, August 14, 2015

Chats with Monster about Heavenly Father and Heaven...

While driving home from a doctors appointment and shopping yesterday monster says to me, “Mom, where were we before we lived on Earth?” It is a question I can recall pondering as a child. Trying to determine for myself what I thought was true, and where my soul lived before I was on Earth with my parents. Hearing this same thought come from my son made me reflect on those times of innocent curiosity, and really appreciate where his faith is, right now.

Although the conversation wasn’t terribly long (really only took places over about a 5 minute period), it was pretty in depth, and was a quality chat about something near and dear to my heart. The rest of our conversation went as follows:

Me: “Well, I actually used to wonder that same question I was a little older than you are now though. I’m not certain, but if I had to take my best guess based on my scripture studies, and prayers. I’d say we lived in Heaven before we were on Earth.”
(After that I looked in the rearview mirror and loved the concentrated look on his face)

Monster: “I don’t remember heaven though, so I don’t know if I lived there or not.”

Me: “Well, do you feel Heavenly Father’s love for you?”

Monster: (Emphatically) “YES! I feel it a lot Mom, but I can’t explain it. It’s just like this nice ‘happy’ I feel. Like after we have a lot of fun. It's like this real special hug! It's awesome!

Me: “That is a very special thing to feel your Heavenly Father’s love for you. Do you think though that he loves you so much that he kept you in Heaven long enough to wait for me to be ready to be your mom?”

Monster: “OH YEAH!! I think so!! I think he took care of me before you were ready for me, and then when you were ready, he sent me to live with you. I just wish I could remember Heaven. Do you think I will remember it all when I get there someday? Like when it is time for me to go back to heaven, will I remember what it was like before I lived on Earth?”

Me: “I think so. I think the best way to know though is to pray about it, and to ask God to give you an answer, but be prepared, he may not give you an answer, but may just give you that hug!”

Monster: “Yeah, I will. Mom? Where do really bad people go?”

Me: “Wow Bud, I really don’t know. I’d imagine though, that people who are really bad have to do a lot more to be forgiven. I think ultimately they are forgiven, especially if they ask to be forgiven and have apologized.”

Monster: “How are they forgiven?”
Me: “Well, they need to pray, a LOT! They need to ask Heavenly Father to forgive them and show Him that they are truly sorry. Like if someone murders someone, do you know what murder means?”

Monster: “Yeah, its to kill someone, right?”

Me: “Yes, it is. If someone who has murdered another and later comes to realize how horrible it was, I think if they ask to be forgiven, if they apologize and truly mean it… God knows if you mean it or not, I don’t think he forgives you until you really mean it, but he is very patient and lets us have freewill to decide that.”

Monster: “Mom, I love God, but why did he let Jesus die?”

Me: “Sometimes others have to pay the prices for someone else. Its like if I go to have coffee with my friend and they forget their wallet, I will pay for them so they don’t miss out. Jesus paid for all of our sins, the mistakes we make, because God let’s us choose for ourselves. Jesus died so that we can be forgiven, but…”

Monster: (Interrupting me) “We have to ask though Mom, and mean it! Then He forgives us.”

Me: “Yep! Exactly!! So anytime you do something wrong, like lie to me, or don’t follow rules, things like that, you need to have humility, you know how I say ‘own your mistakes’, that is what God asks us to do. Own our mistakes and ask for forgiveness, we aren’t perfect, He doesn’t expect us to be.”

Monster: “Hmm… Ok… I think I get all that. God is awesome, and he is so smart! He sure knows what he is doing!”

Me: “Yep! That is for sure son, absolutely for sure!”

I really love that he is at an age where we can have these conversations. That he is bright enough to understand these words that aren’t yet part of his vocabulary (or asks me to explain them, and then starts using them) and process his feelings and interprets them for himself. It is pretty fantastic knowing what I share with him; he listens and really considers it for himself. I’ve always felt that our spiritual development is just as important as any other development! It is a comfort knowing he is maturing in his own spirituality. I love the well rounded young boy he is!

How do you share your beliefs with your friends, family, and/or kids? Do you ask them thought provoking questions or encourage them to start the conversation? Please share, I’d love to know any other ways I can help encourage more conversations like this.

We wish you much love, hope, happiness, strength and inspiration,

            Brittany & Monster

No comments:

Post a Comment